Monday, March 15, 2010

You're Nobody till Somebody Loves You?

I think whoever wrote those lyrics should be shot at close range with a Remington Bull-Action rifle. Russ Morgan, Larry Stock, and James Cavanaugh. Pick one. One of these men came up with the hook that so greatly haunts us hopeless romantics looking for love in a city filled with earthworms. I'm somebody, and I know somebody else will agree. You're not a big "nothing" till someone else arrives. You shouldn't sit around and wait until someone else comes along and says "Hey, you're worthy of good things."

Everyone in my generation is waiting for their life to start. They're waiting for that good job that makes you smile on your way in the door. They're looking for that personal fulfillment that comes from doing something that they love. And they're looking for that ever elusive feeling of romance, lust, or somewhere in between. Well pardon me if I don't believe falling in love and dying is the end game here. Because I would hope that I accomplish a lot more. They say a good partner is a complement, and I'm just working on the parts that they shall be accompanying when we finally meet.

Anyway, my main point in addressing all this is to just anchor my peers who are weathering the storm of heartache right now. I know seems awful and dreadful and downright cruel at times. But you get through it. As a great Beatle once said, "I get by with a little help from my friends." We're all looking to establish ourselves, finish our degrees, get that promotion. It's a selfish time. We're all nursing old wounds from ancient heartaches. We're not the people we once were, the ones who would give our hearts so freely and expect someone to honor that trust. As Gaga pointed out in the "Telephone video," we can piece it back together but it's always going to have its cracks. We're always going to have faults. We're the sum of our experiences and knowledge. But we must go forth with renewed faith and sometimes fight our past transgressions. We must not forget the past, but use it to make a brighter future. How does a flower blossom if it doesn't learn to let the light in?

You will love again. And you're somebody, because I love you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Noel, i love this post almost as much as i love you :)